Skip to main content

Before You Click “Add to Cart”: Who Do You Trust Online?

Influencers, viral products, magic fixes—and why I'm choosing trust over hype.

I have a confession.

I fall for it too.

I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've spent over the years on the latest pill, powder, supplement, beauty product or "you absolutely NEED this" discovery that was supposedly going to fix something.

More energy.

Better sleep.

Better skin.

Lose weight.

Grow hair.

Stop cravings.

Reduce inflammation.

You name it—I have probably clicked on it.

And here's the really embarrassing part...

I have products sitting in my house that I ordered months ago and haven't even used.

Apparently I needed them desperately enough to pull out my credit card...

Just not desperately enough to actually open them. 😂

And recently I started asking myself:

Why do I do this?

I don't know these people.

I've never met them.

I don't know if their skin really looks like that.

I don't know what else they're doing.

I don't know whether they've been using the product for six months or six minutes.

And sometimes I don't even know whether they actually like the product—or they're being paid to tell me about it.

Yet somehow...

ADD TO CART.

Sound familiar?



We Are Living in a Clickbait World

We are bombarded with messages all day long.

You NEED this.

I can't believe nobody told me about this sooner.

This changed my life.

Run, don't walk!

Doctors don't want you to know this.

I lost ___ pounds doing THIS.

And then there's my personal favorite...

"This is the one thing women over ___ need to be doing."

Well, apparently I need to be doing about 147 things before breakfast.

It's exhausting.

But it's also incredibly effective marketing.

These headlines create curiosity. They make us afraid we're missing something. And perhaps most importantly, they offer us something we all want:

An easy answer.

I Think That's Why I Fall for It

This was the part I really had to think about.

Why would I take advice from a complete stranger on the internet?

I don't think it's because I'm gullible.

I think it's because I'm human.

When something is bothering us, we want a solution.

If we're tired, we want energy.

If we're struggling with our weight, we want something that will finally make it easier.

If our skin is changing, we want something that will make us look in the mirror and think, There I am.

If our hair isn't what it used to be, we're going to notice the woman telling us she found the product that changed hers.

And social media has become very, very good at finding that little insecurity and saying:

"I have the answer."

That's powerful.

Are Influencers the Problem?

No.

And I want to be very clear about that.

There are some wonderful content creators and influencers out there.

I've learned from them.

I've discovered products because of them.

Some spend tremendous amounts of time researching products, testing them, creating tutorials and educating their audiences.

And influencers absolutely deserve to make money for their work.

That's not the problem.

The problem, for me, is when we stop distinguishing between information and persuasion.

A beautiful video isn't proof that something works.

A viral product isn't automatically a good product.

A million followers don't necessarily make someone an expert.

And something that worked beautifully for one person may do absolutely nothing for me.

Sponsored? Gifted? Affiliate? What's the Difference?

This is something I think we should all pay more attention to.

Someone recommending a product may have purchased it herself.

Or she may have received it free.

She may have been paid to create the post.

Or she may earn a commission if you click her link and purchase it.

None of those things automatically means the recommendation isn't genuine.

But I want to know.

Because context matters.

And here's where I have to turn the mirror around.

I'm Selling Products Too

I have been in the beauty business for a long time.

When I recommend an Avon product and you purchase through me, I can make money from that purchase.

I don't want to pretend otherwise.

I'm running a business.

But all of this has made me think more carefully about how I want to run that business.

I don't want to tell you every new product is life-changing.

I don't want to tell you something will erase every wrinkle.

I don't want to tell you a shampoo is going to grow hair when that's not what it does.

And I definitely don't want to convince you that you need something you don't.

I'd much rather say:

Here's what it is.

Here's what the ingredients can do.

Here's what they can't do.

Here's why I'm interested in it.

Here's what happened when I tried it.

And then you decide.

Trust Over Hype

I've been doing this long enough to know that the quickest sale isn't necessarily the most important sale.

I'd rather have you trust me.

Because if I tell you every product is incredible, eventually my recommendations don't mean very much.

I don't need every product to be amazing. I need you to trust me when I tell you that one is.

That's become increasingly important to me.

If I don't know something, I'll say I don't know.

If the science isn't there yet, I'll tell you.

If I haven't personally tried something, I shouldn't talk as though I have.

And if I love something?

You'll probably know that too. 😂

Maybe We Need to Start Asking Better Questions

I'm trying to do this myself before I hit that Add to Cart button.

Instead of:

"Could this work?"

I'm trying to ask:

Do I actually need this?

Do I already own something that does the same thing?

Who's recommending it?

What are their qualifications?

Are they being compensated?

Are these realistic results?

Is there actual evidence behind the claim?

And perhaps the most important question for me:

Am I buying the product...or am I buying the promise?

Ouch.

That one hits home.

Because I'm pretty sure I've bought a lot of promises.

There Probably Isn't a Magic Powder

This may be the hardest lesson for me.

I would LOVE the magic powder.

Seriously.

If someone could put better sleep, more energy, perfect skin, great hair and effortless weight management into one scoop...

Take my money.

Unfortunately, most of the things I want don't come from one product.

They come from the boring stuff.

Consistency.

Eating better.

Moving my body.

Sleeping.

Drinking water.

Taking care of my skin.

Managing stress.

And giving things time to work.

Not nearly as exciting as "THIS CHANGED MY LIFE IN 7 DAYS!"

But probably a lot more realistic.

I'm Still Going to Click

Let's not get carried away here.

I'm not going to suddenly become immune to marketing.

I'm still going to see something and think...

Ooooooh. What's that?

I'm still going to discover products through social media.

I'm still going to follow people whose recommendations I enjoy.

And yes, I'm probably still going to buy something I didn't need every once in a while.

I'm a work in progress.

But I want to become a smarter consumer.

And I want to be the kind of person you can come to when you're wondering:

Is this really worth the hype?

Not because I know everything.

But because I'm willing to ask the question.

And maybe that's what we need a little more of online.

Less:

YOU NEED THIS.

And more:

Let's find out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty Ingredients Made Simple: Why Vitamin C Is One of the Best Ingredients for Healthy, Glowing Skin

Vitamin C seems to be everywhere these days. Every skincare brand talks about it, and you've probably heard it's one of the best ingredients you can add to your routine. But what exactly does it do, and is it really worth the hype? In my opinion...absolutely. If you've read my blog, The Collagen Conversation: What Really Changes After 30? , you already know that our skin changes as we age. We begin losing collagen, our skin becomes drier, and years of sun exposure start showing up in ways we never expected. That's exactly why Vitamin C has become one of the most important parts of my morning skincare routine. What Does Vitamin C Do? Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect your skin from the daily environmental stressors we can't always avoid. Think about everything your skin faces every day: UV rays Pollution Smoke Free radicals from our environment Over time, all of these can speed up visible signs of aging. Vitamin C helps neutraliz...
NEW Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set Why wait when you can see results NOW?!?!? Introducing Avon's Anew  Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set.  Let's break it down: Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum This hydrating serum infuses skin with instantly plumping moisture. Formulated with replenishing squalane, known to help soften skin. Also infused with pepper fruit extract to help skin look smooth and relaxed. Fine lines and wrinkles appear remarkably reduced, and skin looks dramatically plumper and more youthful. In just one use this product visibly plumps and smooths the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Anew Clinical Instant Fix Lip Plumping Serum Now we cannot forget the lips!  A luscious pout is what it’s all about! Lips look fuller instantly and more volumized for 72 hours. With menthol to cool and visibly plump lips on contact, plus hyaluronic acid to help infuse a surge of boosting hydration. 93% showed improvement in lip volume in just one use.

Summer Jewelry Trends You’ll Love This Season

Summer style is all about effortless fashion, sun-kissed glow, and accessories that make every outfit feel complete. This season’s jewelry trends are fun, lightweight, versatile, and perfect for everything from beach days to summer nights out. Whether you love delicate everyday pieces or bold statement looks, the right jewelry can instantly elevate your summer wardrobe and your mood without making your outfit seem heavy. Summer Jewelry Trends Trending Right Now ⛱️ Layered Necklaces Mix different chain lengths and textures for an easy, trendy look that works with tanks, sundresses, and swimsuits. ⛱️  Statement Earrings Bold hoops, colorful accents, and eye-catching designs are perfect for adding personality to simple summer outfits. I'm a hoop girl myself! I believe women can rule the world with a good hoop! ⛱️  Gold-Tone Jewelry Warm golden tones complement sun-kissed skin beautifully and continue to dominate summer fashion trends. Gold has made a big comeback! ⛱️...