Skip to main content

Beauty Ingredients Made Simple: Why Vitamin C Is One of the Best Ingredients for Healthy, Glowing Skin

Vitamin C seems to be everywhere these days. Every skincare brand talks about it, and you've probably heard it's one of the best ingredients you can add to your routine. But what exactly does it do, and is it really worth the hype?

In my opinion...absolutely.

If you've read my blog, The Collagen Conversation: What Really Changes After 30?, you already know that our skin changes as we age. We begin losing collagen, our skin becomes drier, and years of sun exposure start showing up in ways we never expected. That's exactly why Vitamin C has become one of the most important parts of my morning skincare routine.



What Does Vitamin C Do?

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect your skin from the daily environmental stressors we can't always avoid.

Think about everything your skin faces every day:

  • UV rays
  • Pollution
  • Smoke
  • Free radicals from our environment

Over time, all of these can speed up visible signs of aging.

Vitamin C helps neutralize these stressors before they have a chance to do as much damage.

But that's only part of the story.

Vitamin C also:

✔ Brightens dull skin

✔ Helps fade dark spots caused by sun damage and aging

✔ Improves uneven skin tone

✔ Supports collagen production (which naturally declines as we get older)

✔ Helps soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles

✔ Leaves skin looking healthier and more radiant

Whether you're in your 20s or your 60s, healthier-looking skin never goes out of style.

Why I Think It's So Important

Like many women my age, I loved being in the sun when I was younger.

Back then, sunscreen wasn't something we thought much about. We spent hours outside trying to get the perfect tan, never thinking about what those years would eventually do to our skin.

Fast forward a few decades...

Those little sunspots seemed to appear overnight.

If I could tell my younger self one thing, it would be this:

Wear your sunscreen every single day.

Trust me—you'll thank yourself later.

When Should You Apply Vitamin C?

Morning is the perfect time.

Applying Vitamin C after cleansing helps protect your skin throughout the day from those environmental stressors we talked about earlier.

Here's the order I recommend:

  1. Cleanser
  2. Toner (if you use one)
  3. Vitamin C
  4. Moisturizer
  5. SPF

One important reminder...

Vitamin C does not replace sunscreen.

Instead, they work beautifully together. Vitamin C helps neutralize free radicals while your SPF helps protect your skin from UV damage.

It's one of the best skincare combinations you can use.

If your skin tends to be sensitive, don't feel like you have to jump in every day.

Start by using Vitamin C every other morning and slowly increase as your skin adjusts.

Remember...

Good skincare isn't about using the most products.

It's about using the right products consistently.

Let's Bust a Few Common Vitamin C Myths

Myth #1

Vitamin C makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.

False.

Vitamin C actually works alongside your sunscreen to help defend your skin against environmental damage.


Myth #2

The higher the percentage, the better.

False.

More isn't always better.

Concentrations above 20% can increase the risk of irritation without providing additional benefits for most people.


Myth #3

You can't use Vitamin C and Retinol together.

False.

I use Vitamin C in the morning and Retinol at night.

They actually complement one another beautifully.

(And don't worry...I'll be talking all about Retinol in a future Ingredient Spotlight because it's another favorite of mine.)

My Personal Vitamin C Routine

If you've been following me for a while, you know I only recommend products I actually use.

Vitamin C is one ingredient I won't skip.

I've noticed improvements in my skin's texture, brightness, and especially those stubborn sunspots that remind me just how much I loved laying in the sun years ago.

Here's my current morning routine:

After cleansing and toning, I apply Anew Vitamin C Brightening Serum to my face and chest.

✨ Next comes Anew Vitamin C Brightening Eye Cream to brighten and hydrate the delicate eye area.

✨ I use Anew Vitamin C Targeted Skin Brightener on areas where dark spots are more noticeable.

✨ Then I moisturize with Anew Vitamin C Brightening Gel Cream, which has quickly become one of my favorites. I love the lightweight gel texture, and I always apply any extra to the tops of my hands because that's another place where years of sun exposure love to show up.

✨ A few times each week, I finish with the Anew Vitamin C Exfoliating Peel Pads to help reveal smoother, brighter-looking skin.


Final Thoughts

I've learned that taking care of our skin isn't about trying to look twenty-five forever.

It's about giving our skin what it needs today.

For me, Vitamin C is one of those ingredients that has earned a permanent place in my routine. It's simple, effective, and helps support brighter, healthier-looking skin at every age.

If you're just beginning your skincare journey—or looking to refresh your routine—Vitamin C is one ingredient I believe is well worth considering.

And if you're like me and spent a little too much time chasing the sun in your younger years, don't worry. It's never too late to start taking better care of your skin.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set Why wait when you can see results NOW?!?!? Introducing Avon's Anew  Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set.  Let's break it down: Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum This hydrating serum infuses skin with instantly plumping moisture. Formulated with replenishing squalane, known to help soften skin. Also infused with pepper fruit extract to help skin look smooth and relaxed. Fine lines and wrinkles appear remarkably reduced, and skin looks dramatically plumper and more youthful. In just one use this product visibly plumps and smooths the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Anew Clinical Instant Fix Lip Plumping Serum Now we cannot forget the lips!  A luscious pout is what it’s all about! Lips look fuller instantly and more volumized for 72 hours. With menthol to cool and visibly plump lips on contact, plus hyaluronic acid to help infuse a surge of boosting hydration. 93% showed improvement in lip volume in just one use.

Summer Jewelry Trends You’ll Love This Season

Summer style is all about effortless fashion, sun-kissed glow, and accessories that make every outfit feel complete. This season’s jewelry trends are fun, lightweight, versatile, and perfect for everything from beach days to summer nights out. Whether you love delicate everyday pieces or bold statement looks, the right jewelry can instantly elevate your summer wardrobe and your mood without making your outfit seem heavy. Summer Jewelry Trends Trending Right Now ⛱️ Layered Necklaces Mix different chain lengths and textures for an easy, trendy look that works with tanks, sundresses, and swimsuits. ⛱️  Statement Earrings Bold hoops, colorful accents, and eye-catching designs are perfect for adding personality to simple summer outfits. I'm a hoop girl myself! I believe women can rule the world with a good hoop! ⛱️  Gold-Tone Jewelry Warm golden tones complement sun-kissed skin beautifully and continue to dominate summer fashion trends. Gold has made a big comeback! ⛱️...