Skip to main content

Beauty Ingredients Made Simple: What Is PDRN—and Why Is Everyone Talking About It?

A new skincare ingredient has arrived at Avon, and of course I had to learn more.

Just when I think I've finally learned all the skincare ingredients—Vitamin C, retinol, peptides, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid—another one comes along.

This time it's PDRN.

I'll admit, when I first saw PDRN, my reaction was probably the same as yours:

What in the world is that?

Then I learned that Avon has introduced two new Anew products featuring aloe-derived PDRN, Anew Power Reset Serum and Anew Power Reset Gel Cream, and that was enough to send me down the skincare ingredient rabbit hole.

So, naturally, I did some research.

Here's what I learned.



First Things First: What Is PDRN?

PDRN stands for polydeoxyribonucleotide.

That's quite a mouthful, which is probably why everyone just calls it PDRN!

In simple terms, PDRN refers to DNA-derived fragments that have been studied in regenerative medicine and dermatology. Research into PDRN has looked at processes involved in tissue repair and skin regeneration, including pathways associated with fibroblast activity and collagen production.

And now PDRN has become one of the ingredients getting a lot of attention in skincare—particularly Korean beauty.

But here's where things get interesting.

Wait...Isn't PDRN Made From Salmon?

Traditionally, the PDRN used in much of the medical research has been derived from fish, including salmon or trout.

If you've seen "salmon DNA skincare" popping up on social media, this is probably what people are talking about.

But skincare companies are now exploring plant-derived alternatives, sometimes referred to as phyto-PDRN.

And that's what caught my attention about Avon's new products: the PDRN is aloe-derived.

I already associate aloe with soothing skincare, so seeing it combined with this newer skincare technology immediately made me curious.

Why Is Everyone Talking About PDRN?

This is where I want to separate the excitement from the hype.

Research surrounding PDRN is interesting. Studies and reviews have explored its potential role in skin repair, collagen-related processes, hydration, elasticity, and overall skin quality.

But...and this is important...

A skincare serum you apply at home isn't the same thing as a PDRN treatment performed in a medical or aesthetic setting.

Most of the stronger research we currently have comes from medical applications or treatments in which polynucleotides/PDRN are delivered into the skin. Reviews of cosmetic uses describe the results as promising but also point out that we still need larger, higher-quality studies.

Research specifically showing what topical PDRN can accomplish is newer and more limited.

So am I intrigued?Absolutely.

Am I going to tell you it's a miracle in a bottle? No.


Why Aloe-Derived PDRN Interests Me

This is probably the part I'm most excited about.

The PDRN conversation has largely centered around fish-derived sources, but we're beginning to see plant-derived alternatives enter skincare.

For someone who enjoys learning about new beauty ingredients, I find that fascinating.

I'm always interested when skincare evolves, not because I think we need to chase every trend, but because sometimes a trend introduces us to an ingredient or technology that eventually becomes part of our everyday routines.

Remember when everyone suddenly started talking about hyaluronic acid? Or niacinamide?

Or peptides?

Now they're everywhere.

Will PDRN eventually become one of those ingredients?

We'll see.

Meet Avon's New Anew Power Reset Products

And this brings me to the reason I started researching PDRN in the first place.

Avon has introduced two new products featuring aloe-derived PDRN:

Anew Power Reset Serum

Anew Power Reset Serum

I'm a serum girl, so naturally this is the product I'm especially interested in trying.

Serums are already an important part of my routine because they're an easy way to incorporate targeted skincare ingredients without adding ten different steps.

Anew Power Reset Gel Cream

Anew Power Reset Gel Cream

You also know how much I enjoy a good gel cream.

I like moisturizers that leave my skin feeling hydrated without feeling heavy, so I'm very curious to see how this one feels on my skin.

Where Would PDRN Fit Into a Skincare Routine?

This is something I always want to know when I discover a new product.

Where am I supposed to put it?!

For me, I like to keep things simple:

Cleanse → Treat → Moisturize → SPF in the morning

A serum generally fits into that treatment step, followed by moisturizer.

And no matter how exciting a new skincare ingredient sounds, I'm not giving up the basics.

Vitamin C.

Retinol.

Moisturizer.

And especially SPF.

Those are still the foundation of my routine.

Do We Really Need Another Skincare Ingredient?

Maybe not.

But I think there's a difference between constantly chasing trends and being willing to learn about what's new.

That's one of the things I love most about beauty.

It keeps changing.

There's always something new to learn, and I don't ever want to get so comfortable with what I've always done that I stop paying attention to what's happening next.

That's true for skincare.

And honestly, it's true for life too.

Will I Be Trying It?

Absolutely.

And rather than telling you how amazing something is before I've really given it a chance, I'd rather take you along with me.

I'm going to incorporate the new Anew Power Reset products into my routine and pay attention to how my skin looks and feels.

Then I'll come back and tell you what I think.

Because at the end of the day, that's what I want Beauty Update with Linda to be about.

Learning together.

Trying new things.

Taking care of ourselves.

And figuring out which beauty trends deserve a permanent place in our routines—and which ones we can happily leave behind.

Stay tuned...PDRN and I are just getting acquainted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty Ingredients Made Simple: Why Vitamin C Is One of the Best Ingredients for Healthy, Glowing Skin

Vitamin C seems to be everywhere these days. Every skincare brand talks about it, and you've probably heard it's one of the best ingredients you can add to your routine. But what exactly does it do, and is it really worth the hype? In my opinion...absolutely. If you've read my blog, The Collagen Conversation: What Really Changes After 30? , you already know that our skin changes as we age. We begin losing collagen, our skin becomes drier, and years of sun exposure start showing up in ways we never expected. That's exactly why Vitamin C has become one of the most important parts of my morning skincare routine. What Does Vitamin C Do? Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect your skin from the daily environmental stressors we can't always avoid. Think about everything your skin faces every day: UV rays Pollution Smoke Free radicals from our environment Over time, all of these can speed up visible signs of aging. Vitamin C helps neutraliz...
NEW Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set Why wait when you can see results NOW?!?!? Introducing Avon's Anew  Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set.  Let's break it down: Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum This hydrating serum infuses skin with instantly plumping moisture. Formulated with replenishing squalane, known to help soften skin. Also infused with pepper fruit extract to help skin look smooth and relaxed. Fine lines and wrinkles appear remarkably reduced, and skin looks dramatically plumper and more youthful. In just one use this product visibly plumps and smooths the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Anew Clinical Instant Fix Lip Plumping Serum Now we cannot forget the lips!  A luscious pout is what it’s all about! Lips look fuller instantly and more volumized for 72 hours. With menthol to cool and visibly plump lips on contact, plus hyaluronic acid to help infuse a surge of boosting hydration. 93% showed improvement in lip volume in just one use.

Summer Jewelry Trends You’ll Love This Season

Summer style is all about effortless fashion, sun-kissed glow, and accessories that make every outfit feel complete. This season’s jewelry trends are fun, lightweight, versatile, and perfect for everything from beach days to summer nights out. Whether you love delicate everyday pieces or bold statement looks, the right jewelry can instantly elevate your summer wardrobe and your mood without making your outfit seem heavy. Summer Jewelry Trends Trending Right Now ⛱️ Layered Necklaces Mix different chain lengths and textures for an easy, trendy look that works with tanks, sundresses, and swimsuits. ⛱️  Statement Earrings Bold hoops, colorful accents, and eye-catching designs are perfect for adding personality to simple summer outfits. I'm a hoop girl myself! I believe women can rule the world with a good hoop! ⛱️  Gold-Tone Jewelry Warm golden tones complement sun-kissed skin beautifully and continue to dominate summer fashion trends. Gold has made a big comeback! ⛱️...