Skip to main content

Beauty Ingredients Made Simple: Camellia + Collagen — What Can They Do for Your Hair?

 

We talk so much about ingredients in our skincare—but what about the ingredients we're putting on our hair?

If you've been following my Beauty Ingredients Made Simple series, you know I love digging a little deeper into the ingredients we're suddenly seeing everywhere.

We've talked about Vitamin C. We've talked about PDRN. And this time, we're moving away from skincare and talking about hair care.

Avon recently introduced a new Organist Camellia + Collagen Volumizing Shampoo, and of course, the ingredient combination caught my attention.

Camellia and collagen.

I already knew about collagen for our skin, but collagen in our shampoo?

And what exactly does camellia do for our hair?

Naturally, I had to find out.



First, Let's Talk About Camellia

Camellia isn't exactly new to beauty.

Different species of the camellia plant have a long history of use in Asian beauty and hair-care traditions. Camellia seed oil in particular is rich in fatty acids, including oleic acid, and researchers continue to study its potential cosmetic benefits.

But here's where I think things get interesting for hair.

Research has shown that Camellia oleifera oil can actually penetrate the hair fiber, and in laboratory testing, plant oils including camellia oil provided benefits related to hair-fiber strength.

Other research involving extracts from the Camellia family has also found antioxidant effects that may help protect hair proteins from UV-related damage.

Now, does that mean every shampoo containing camellia is going to completely transform your hair?

Of course not.

The finished formula matters, the type and amount of camellia ingredient matters, and shampoo is ultimately a rinse-off product.

But it certainly explains why camellia has become such an interesting ingredient in modern hair care.

What Can Camellia Do for the Hair?

When I think about what I want from my hair products, I'm really not asking for anything crazy.

I want my hair to feel:

  • Softer
  • Smoother
  • Healthier-looking
  • More manageable
  • Less dry
  • And, yes...a little fuller would be nice!

Plant oils are often used in hair-care products because they can help condition and lubricate the hair fiber, which can contribute to softness and manageability.

And camellia has another interesting quality: it contains naturally occurring antioxidant compounds.

That's especially interesting when you think about everything our hair goes through—sun, heat styling, coloring, blow drying, environmental exposure and just everyday life.

Hair needs a little self-care too!

Now Let's Talk About Collagen

This was the ingredient that really made me stop.

Why would we need collagen in our shampoo?

We hear constantly about collagen for our skin, joints and even supplements.

But hair itself is primarily made of keratin, not collagen.

So collagen in a shampoo isn't going to replace "lost collagen" inside your hair or suddenly make your hair start producing more collagen.

That's not really the point.

In cosmetic hair products, collagen or hydrolyzed collagen is generally used as a conditioning protein ingredient.

Depending on the formulation, protein ingredients can help coat and condition the hair, improving the way it feels and looks.

Think:

Smoother. Softer. More manageable. Fuller-looking.

And that last one is especially interesting to me because the new Organist shampoo is a volumizing shampoo.

But Can Collagen Actually Make Your Hair Grow?

This is where I want to clear up something important.

A shampoo containing collagen isn't the same thing as a hair-growth treatment.

And I wouldn't buy a collagen shampoo expecting it to suddenly grow new hair.

That's one of the things I'm trying to do with this series—separate what an ingredient actually does from what social media sometimes makes us think it does.

There's a big difference between:

"This ingredient can help hair look and feel fuller and healthier"

and

"This ingredient grows hair."

Those aren't the same claim.

And I think we need to know the difference.

So Why Put Camellia + Collagen Together?

This is what I like about the combination.

You've got camellia bringing the botanical, conditioning side of the formula, while collagen is being used as a protein-based conditioning ingredient.

Put the two into a shampoo designed for volume, and I can see why the combination makes sense.

Especially for hair that feels:

  • Limp
  • Dry
  • Rough
  • Dull
  • Difficult to manage
  • Or simply not as full-looking as you'd like

And let's face it—depending on hormones, heat styling, coloring, weather and everything else we put our hair through, its needs can change over time.

Just like our skin.

Meet the New Organist Camellia + Collagen Volumizing Shampoo


 



And this brings me to the product that started this whole conversation.

Avon has introduced the new Organist Camellia + Collagen Volumizing Shampoo.

What initially caught my attention was the word volumizing.

I'm always interested in something that can help hair look fuller without making it feel heavy.

Then I saw camellia + collagen and thought...

Okay, now I need to know more.

That's really what inspired this blog.

Instead of simply telling you, "Here's a new shampoo," I wanted to understand why these particular ingredients were being used in it.

That's what Beauty Ingredients Made Simple is all about.

See the Organist Camellia + Collagen Volumizing Shampoo

Does Your Hair Routine Need to Change?

Maybe.

I think we sometimes get into the habit of buying the same shampoo and conditioner we've used forever without stopping to ask:

Is this still what my hair needs?

Our hair changes.

The products that worked for us years ago might not necessarily be what our hair needs today.

Maybe your hair has become drier.

Maybe it's color-treated now.

Maybe you're using more heat.

Maybe you want more volume.

Or maybe you simply want to try something new.

I'm learning that our beauty routines don't have to stay exactly the same forever.

We can keep what works and still stay curious about what's new.

My Final Thoughts

The more I learn about beauty ingredients, the more I realize that skincare doesn't get to have all the fun!

There are some really interesting ingredients showing up in hair care too.

Camellia caught my attention because of its long history in Asian beauty traditions and the emerging research around its use for hair. Collagen interested me because I wanted to understand why a skincare ingredient I talk about so often was suddenly sitting in my shampoo.

And now I understand the combination a little better.

Will one shampoo magically transform your hair overnight?

Probably not.

But choosing products formulated for what your hair actually needs—and paying attention to the ingredients you're using—is another small way we can take better care of ourselves.

Because sometimes the best beauty discoveries start with one simple question:

What's actually in this...and what does it do?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty Ingredients Made Simple: Why Vitamin C Is One of the Best Ingredients for Healthy, Glowing Skin

Vitamin C seems to be everywhere these days. Every skincare brand talks about it, and you've probably heard it's one of the best ingredients you can add to your routine. But what exactly does it do, and is it really worth the hype? In my opinion...absolutely. If you've read my blog, The Collagen Conversation: What Really Changes After 30? , you already know that our skin changes as we age. We begin losing collagen, our skin becomes drier, and years of sun exposure start showing up in ways we never expected. That's exactly why Vitamin C has become one of the most important parts of my morning skincare routine. What Does Vitamin C Do? Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect your skin from the daily environmental stressors we can't always avoid. Think about everything your skin faces every day: UV rays Pollution Smoke Free radicals from our environment Over time, all of these can speed up visible signs of aging. Vitamin C helps neutraliz...
NEW Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set Why wait when you can see results NOW?!?!? Introducing Avon's Anew  Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum Set.  Let's break it down: Anew Clinical Instant Fix Plumping Serum This hydrating serum infuses skin with instantly plumping moisture. Formulated with replenishing squalane, known to help soften skin. Also infused with pepper fruit extract to help skin look smooth and relaxed. Fine lines and wrinkles appear remarkably reduced, and skin looks dramatically plumper and more youthful. In just one use this product visibly plumps and smooths the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Anew Clinical Instant Fix Lip Plumping Serum Now we cannot forget the lips!  A luscious pout is what it’s all about! Lips look fuller instantly and more volumized for 72 hours. With menthol to cool and visibly plump lips on contact, plus hyaluronic acid to help infuse a surge of boosting hydration. 93% showed improvement in lip volume in just one use.

Summer Jewelry Trends You’ll Love This Season

Summer style is all about effortless fashion, sun-kissed glow, and accessories that make every outfit feel complete. This season’s jewelry trends are fun, lightweight, versatile, and perfect for everything from beach days to summer nights out. Whether you love delicate everyday pieces or bold statement looks, the right jewelry can instantly elevate your summer wardrobe and your mood without making your outfit seem heavy. Summer Jewelry Trends Trending Right Now ⛱️ Layered Necklaces Mix different chain lengths and textures for an easy, trendy look that works with tanks, sundresses, and swimsuits. ⛱️  Statement Earrings Bold hoops, colorful accents, and eye-catching designs are perfect for adding personality to simple summer outfits. I'm a hoop girl myself! I believe women can rule the world with a good hoop! ⛱️  Gold-Tone Jewelry Warm golden tones complement sun-kissed skin beautifully and continue to dominate summer fashion trends. Gold has made a big comeback! ⛱️...