I remember being in my 20s and looking at a 60-year-old woman and thinking, "Wow, she's old."
Well, here I am.
And you know what?
I'm not old.
In fact, I feel more like myself now than I ever have.
The funny thing is, I never had much confidence as a young woman. I wasn't taught how a strong and confident woman should act. Things were different back then. We were often taught to be agreeable, not rock the boat, and put everyone else's needs ahead of our own.
I remember turning 40 and feeling a little nervous about getting older. Then 50 came along, and I noticed something unexpected. I felt more confident. I became more outspoken. I started saying what I thought instead of worrying so much about what everyone else thought.
And honestly?
I kind of liked it.
Then came 60.
It wasn't what I expected.
When I was younger, 60 sounded old. Now that I'm here, I realize I'm still the same person inside. The difference is that I'm stronger, more confident, and a lot less willing to put up with nonsense. I speak my mind. I know who I am. And I'm much more comfortable in my own skin than I ever was in my 20s or 30s.
After facing health challenges and watching loved ones age, you begin to see life differently.
You realize that not everyone gets the opportunity to grow older.
Every birthday is a gift.
Every new year is a blessing.
If there's one thing I wish I had learned earlier, it's this: I wish I had spent less time worrying about what other people thought. I wish I had spent less energy trying to make everyone happy and more time enjoying the moment I was in.
For years, I put everyone else first.
My kids.
My husband.
My dogs.
My jobs.
Everyone.
Somewhere along the way, I learned that my needs matter too.
That doesn't mean I love my family any less. It simply means I've learned that taking care of myself isn't selfish. It's necessary.
As I've gotten older, I've also realized that it's the little things that matter most.
Sitting outside in the morning sunshine.
Drinking enough water.
Moving my body more.
Resting when I need to—and not feeling guilty about it.
Reading a good book.
Enjoying a great glass of wine.
Taking a few quiet moments just for myself.
I've also learned how to take care of my skin, and I honestly have to attribute much of that to my Avon career. Over the years, I've received some of the best skincare education imaginable. I've learned that skincare isn't about chasing youth. It's about caring for the skin you're in and treating yourself with kindness and consistency.
One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that confidence isn't something you magically wake up with one day.
Confidence is built.
It's built through life.
Through mistakes.
Through heartbreak.
Through victories.
Through getting back up when life knocks you down.
Every challenge teaches you something. Every setback makes you stronger. Every chapter of life adds another layer to the woman you're becoming.
Today, what matters most to me is simple.
Peace over drama.
A small circle of amazing girlfriends.
My health.
My family.
And being present in the life I'm living right now.
If I could tell my younger self one thing, it would be this:
Be kinder to yourself.
The wrinkles will come.
The gray hairs will come.
Life will throw challenges your way.
But confidence isn't about looking younger.
It's about becoming comfortable with who you are.
At 60+, I'm still learning, still growing, and still finding new reasons to be grateful.
And that's a beautiful thing.

Comments
Post a Comment